Skip to Content

How Do I Withdraw My Child From School To Homeschool?

Homeschooling is becoming more and more popular in the United States.

Lots of parents and their kids feel like it is a better option than public school, and it gives the families more control over what their children are being taught. 

If you are planning on homeschooling your children, it is important to go about it the right and legal way. You cannot just withdraw your kids from public school- there are things you need to do in order to keep it legal. 

How Do I Withdraw My Child From School To Homeschool

If you don’t know how to do this, then you have come to the right place.

We have put together a guide to help you withdraw your child from school to homeschool. So read on to find out everything you need to know. 

Which States Allow Homeschooling In the United States?

If you are concerned that your state will not allow homeschooling, then don’t be.

It is legal to homeschool in every single state in the United States, but the issue is that every state has different laws. This can make it tricky to start homeschooling if you only have a broad idea about how it works.

Your experience in your state is going to be very different from that of a homeschooling family in another state. 

Research Your State Laws 

Before you do anything else, the most important thing that you can do is research your state laws. 

Homeschooling is not the same in every state, and the laws can differ drastically. What is legal in Nevada, for example, is not legal in Mississippi.

Lots of states have similar laws regarding homeschooling, but they can still differ slightly. 

If you do not research and become familiar with your state laws, you can get in a lot of trouble.

Just pulling your kids from public school can cause investigations to happen and truancy offers to come and visit you. 

It is always in your best interest to find out your state laws and follow them as closely as possible before you begin homeschooling and before you pull your kids out of public school. 

Send A Withdrawal Notice To Your Children’s School

One thing that is quite universal across the whole country is the need to send a withdrawal notice or even a Notice of Intent to your children’s current public school. 

These notices show in writing your intent to start homeschooling your children.

Sending a Notice of Withdrawal or a Notice of Intent to your school district or local school superintendent can help you avoid any unwanted attention from truancy officers and other complications. 

Some states do not require this at all, but even in those states, submitting a Notice of Withdrawal or a Notice of Intent is just beneficial and can help speed up the process. 

Information You Should Include 

If you do end up submitting a Notice of Withdrawal or a Notice of Intent, there is basic information that should be included, regardless of which state you live in. 

A Notice of Intent or a Notice of Withdrawal should usually include the following information: 

  • The name of your children, their age, gender, address, and grade level (include the names of every child you intend on homeschooling)
  • A declaration that you plan on homeschooling your children.
  • Your name and address, and relationship to your children.
  • Any teaching certifications or qualifications you have if your state requires it.

Depending on which state you live in, there will be other information you need to include, but you can base your template on the information above to get started.

Withdrawal notices and Notices of Intent usually have to be submitted within a certain time frame as well, but this will differ depending on which state you live in, too.

How Do I Withdraw My Child From School To Homeschool

Set Up A Meeting With Your Child’s School

While this is not a legal requirement, setting up a meeting with your child’s school can help you get a lot of answers to any extra questions you might have.

You will have to contact the school administration and ask to set up a meeting with the school principal.

When the meeting has been arranged, you can tell them about your intent to homeschool and ask them if there is anything you need to do before you can make it official. 

The principal and the school should be able to provide you with any information you will need, and in some cases, they will be able to provide you with resources to help you get started. Use this time to clear up anything that is confusing you. 

If your relationship with the school is positive, they may also let you know that your child can re-enroll in public school should the need arise. 

Remember, setting up a meeting is not a legal requirement in any state during the process. It is really up to you if this step will help you in transitioning your family from public school to homeschooling. 

Next Steps

Once you have researched your state’s laws and sent a withdrawal notice, you will then be able to start your homeschooling journey properly.

There is a lot to consider and do when it comes to setting up your homeschool. You need to buy materials, set up a homeschooling space, draw up a curriculum and lesson plans, and so much more. 

Some states will leave you to your own devices, but others are a lot more involved in your homeschooling. You can find plenty of resources online to help you settle into homeschooling as a parent. 


Withdrawing your children from public school to homeschooling can seem like a complicated process.

But once you understand your state laws and the steps you need to take, it makes the whole process a bit more simple. 

Use the advice and information we have provided here to help you withdraw your children from school.

If you have any extra questions that you need answered, don’t be afraid to contact your school district or talk to the school your children were in. It’s ok to ask for help!

Simon Lewis

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *