Skip to Content

A Parent’s Guide: Who Do I Report To On My Child’s Homeschooling?

When you choose to homeschool your children in the United States, there are quite a few things you need to do.

Depending on which state you live in, you will need to meet a very specific set of requirements, and it is very important to do so.

While you might think you have complete control over your children’s education in this situation, you will still need to report to someone in the education sector.

This is because, in most states, homeschooling is still classed as being a part of the public school sector, so you will need to report on your children’s progress to the appropriate people. 

Who Do I Report To On My Child's Homeschooling

But who exactly do you report to on your child’s homeschooling?

If you are confused, we are here to help. Read on to find out everything you need to know about reporting to the appropriate educational bodies when it comes to your child’s homeschooling. 

Who You Report To Depends On Your State

Before we go any further, it is important to know that who you report to on your child’s homeschooling will depend largely on the state in which you are homeschooling.

Some states require that you report to the school district, while some require you to report to your local school superintendent. In some cases, you will need to do both. 

This is because most traditional ways of homeschooling are still considered to be part of public schooling.

While you will be responsible for record-keeping and actually teaching your kids, they still need to be monitored like kids who are actually in public school.

The School District

To work out who the appropriate school district is, you will need to look into the area in which you live. Or you will have to use the school that your children were originally a part of.

You can set up a meeting with them to work out what information you need to report to them, what records you need to keep, and how often you should be in contact with them. 

Remember, this is going to vary depending on which state you live in. Some states are a lot more relaxed in this regard, but it is important to research your state laws before you proceed.

Your school district can also help you with understanding the laws. 

Your School Superintendent

Alternatively, you may need to get in contact with your local or county school superintendent.

The school superintendent is an administrator or manager who is in charge of a specific district or umbrella of schools in one particular area. They have more authority than principles and represent the school district. 

Again, whether or not you need to involve the school superintendent will depend on your state. In some cases, you will just need to contact the school district.

This is why it is important to research and know your state’s homeschooling laws before you go ahead with homeschooling. 

Like the school district, you can set up meetings with your local or county superintendent to work out what you need to report on.

In some states, you will need to report on their academic progress, the subjects they are studying, their attendance, and their records, but some states are a bit more relaxed. 

who do i report to on my child's homeschooling

Private Homeschooling

If you choose to homeschool your children through a private homeschooling organization, such as the Church, then you will need to report to them rather than the school district or school superintendent.

You will need to report to the organization in the same way you would in a public homeschooling setting, but they will handle all of the records then.

You can talk to whoever governs these organizations to make sure you are providing them with the correct information and to gain clarity on any questions you may have. 

Private homeschooling laws also vary depending on which state you live in, so it is important to research those laws thoroughly.

These privately run organizations offer a lot more support and information, which is a big reason why lots of homeschooling parents choose this option. 

Notice Of Intent

In almost every state in the United States, you will need to file a Notice of Intent to your school district or local school superintendent about your plans to start homeschooling your children.

This is important to know about as early as possible because it is one of the first things you will need to do as a homeschooling parent. 

Typically, whoever you need to file that notice with is who you will need to keep reporting on your child’s homeschooling to.

We mention the Notice of Intent here because it can save you a lot of time and hassle in the future to know this information sooner rather than later. 

What your Notice of Intent includes will vary depending on which state you live in. Some states require a lot of information, but others are a bit more relaxed.

Typically, a Notice of Intent includes the following information: 

  • A declaration that you intend to homeschool.
  • A list of the subjects you plan on teaching your children.
  • Your children’s name, age, address, grade, and where they will be homeschooling.

Once you have sent your Notice of Intent off to the right governing body, you will be able to start homeschooling as long as they give the ok.

Whether it’s the school district or the superintendent, they will then provide you with any other information you need to know going forward. 

See also: How To Choose What To Cover In First Grade Homeschooling


Homeschooling in the United States is usually quite a straightforward process, but because the laws vary from state to state, it can be a bit confusing at first.

Knowing who to report to on your children’s homeschooling is essential information that you should know as soon as possible. 

Remember, it is ok to ask questions, that is what these governing bodies are here for.

They will be able to help and support you on your homeschooling journey, so don’t be afraid to ask for help and information when you need it.

Simon Lewis

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *